Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Week 3



I just had a session with Sherri the other day and I had a big stack of emotions come up surrounding falling off a horse when I was a little girl. My body also made weird movements and completed something that Sherri calls a self-protective response that didn’t get to happen with I fell off the horse all those years ago. The more sessions that I go to with Sherri the more I feel that SE is actually pretty awesome! Plus, I like the homework of playing with my dog! I wish I had that homework in Grad School! 

Uncovering the Beauty in Life through Trauma Resolution

I have noticed that during our sessions, stuff usually comes up surrounding things that happened in my childhood. I start talking about something that is bothering me in my life today and within 30 minutes; I am 3-8 years old again. Now, I don’t buy into pop psychology, but there is something to this whole “childhood” thing. I know at one point Sherri talked about patterns of the nervous system that start during childhood trauma and continue into adulthood. Apparently, we are compelled to repeat traumatizing events so that we can have an opportunity to resolve them. I wonder if this would explain why I bump into things all the time? One day, I asked Sherri about this and she said that it could possibly be attributed to a freeze response and that there could be some disassociation going on. She reassured me that we are addressing those issues, even if it may be indirectly at this time, through the SE sessions. She also said that many people have various states of disassociation and not to worry about it! She told me that I am doing just fine and that I am making great progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment